Ella Lama - Meet the artist

Manille, Grand Manille, Philippines

Hello ! My name is Ella, and I am an illustrator based in Manila, Philippines. I have been a full-time artist for four years now. Aside from working on client projects, I design and sell stationery products, and I also teach workshops on running small creative businesses. I am very introverted, and I spend most of my time creating art, reading books, and hanging out with my dear friends. I also love travelling and exploring new places.

 


Have you always wanted to be an illustrator? What studies did you follow?

No, I kind of became one by accident! I wasn't one of those people who have been drawing all their lives. As a kid, I drew occasionally, but what I've always wanted to be was a writer. In high school I was part of the school paper staff, and at university I studied English literature. I enjoyed writing essays and short stories.
When I finished my degree, I had a corporate job in online marketing, so I did almost all of my work on the computer. I wanted to get into a hobby away from the computer screen, so I started lettering as a stress reliever. Eventually got clients doing that.
In late 2017, I was approached by a company who wanted to make holiday cards for their customers. Aside from lettering, they wanted the cards to have illustrated elements--something I have never done before! Instead of backing out of the project, I took it as a challenge and because of it I fell in love with illustration!

Team Wacom or team Ipad ?

I have both a Wacom Intuos drawing tablet and an iPad Pro. I use both when making art, but I would have to say I spend more time on my iPad now because of how portable it is.


What’s your favorite art supply ?

I draw digitally almost exclusively now, but I also enjoy using gouache and colored pencils. My favorite brands are Holbein (for paint) and Faber Castell (for pencils).

What do you prefer to draw ?

Being an introvert, I draw inspiration from cozy indoor scenes and quiet moments of daily life. I like making positive, inspirational artworks because they uplift me whenever I start doubting my work. I also infuse silly humor in some of my pieces.
Right now I am building my portfolio, so I want to practice drawing more people, food, and travel-themed illustrations.


What was your first job as an illustrator ? and your favorite experience as an illustrator ?

This is a tough one! My art practice has gone through a lot of changes over the years. Technically, my first client ever was myself, when I designed stickers and postcards to sell at local craft markets. Because of those events, I met actual clients who hired me for lettering and, eventually, illustration work.
The first ever commissioned piece I did was doing hand-painted banners and gifts for weddings. I then experimented with a lot of stuff after that: digital designs for my former employer's newsletters, event posters and invitations, lettering for local TV shows, screenprinted fabric products, magazine spreads, and many more !
My favorite experience as an illustrator is seeing my work on the pages of an international magazine for the first time ever. I've seen my work on print locally, but it feels so exciting to share my art with people from different sides of the world! I also really enjoy doing editorial pieces, so I hope there will be more opportunities like this for me in the future !

Are you represented by an agency ?

No, but this time last year I was bent on signing with one. Now I approach my career differently by pitching my work directly to clients. I feel like this has afforded me more room to experiment and to determine which niches within the illustration industry I can thrive in.


Your style is very beautiful. When did you find it ? Was it easy ?

Thank you so much for thinking so! Honestly, I feel like I am still developing my style. I feel like if there is a semblance of style in my work now, it is due to the fact that my illustration repertoire is limited, and that I am still learning a lot in terms of drawing different objects and scenes. In the future I would like to be more intentional with the way I draw, and the only way I can achieve that is to practice, practice, practice. I need to have more experience and to make more experiments to be able to say that I have solidified my personal style.

Which illustration are you most proud of ?

I would have to say my entry for the Lilla Rogers Studio Global Talent Search last year. I did not get through to the next rounds, but I am happy with my illustration for a number of reasons. First, it was the most detailed drawing I have done back then. I was really scared and overwhelmed, but I am proud of myself for trusting my skills enough to pull it off. Second, it felt good to see my work alongside more experienced artists. I felt like such a professional! Third, finishing that piece gave me the confidence to continue pushing myself in terms of getting practice and exploring themes in my work.


Do you have a daily routine ?

No, but I feel like I should have one! I basically start work at 11am and finish at around 8pm most days. I do have a daily to-do list, which lets me keep track of my goals and deadlines.

What's your favorite illustrators ?

I have a lot! My favorites include Rebecca Green, Aiko Fukawa, Carson Ellis, Julia Rothman, Kate Bingaman-Burt, Mary Kate McDevitt, Louise Lockhart, Fran Meneses, Mike Lowery, Sarah Walsh, Tom Froese, Shunsuke Satake, Geraldine Sy, Kathrin Honesta, Nina Cosford, Ellen Surrey, Greg Paprocki, Iraville, Lisk Feng, Felicita Sala, and Freda Chiu. I am sure I am forgetting a lot of names!
I also admire the work of my artist friends Airees Rondain, Joanne Shih, Ria Rivera, Jenny Lelong, Veronika Kotyk, Laura Moraiti, June Digan, Elle Battung, Louise Ramos, and Marie Lama (my sister!).


What's your advice for a beginner illustrator ?

My advice for illustrators who are just starting out is to fully enjoy the process. From coming up with ideas to executing them, try to find joy in every step. This is will help you when the going gets tough. Also don't treat social media as a determinant of how your career will grow. It is easier to get sucked in and to make art just for the numbers. For me it is a place to share my work and meet new friends, nothing more. It has very little effect on how I see and value my work. And as with everything, practice makes progress.

Future projects to come ? 

I am currently busy with commissions and preparing products for the holidays, but when I get some free time toward the end of the year I want to work on a lot of new personal projects. I also want to launch an international web shop and an online version of my workshop early next year!

You can find Ella's work on her website, her Instagram.


Ella's tools  : 

- Holbein (for paint) 
- Faber Castell (for pencils)

See you every Saturday for a new interview. Next interview on Saturday, October 5th with Clara. Feel free to leave a comment to tell me which illustrator you want to see next on my blog.






Enregistrer un commentaire

Latest Instagrams

© Lucile Farroni. Design by FCD.