Léa Decan - Meet the artist

Bruxelles, Belgique

Born in 1995 in Dunkerque, near "La mer du Nord", I spent my childhood traveling between France and China. After a few years of mop, it is in Brussels that I put my bags. I study illustration, then I embark on various editorial projects and I organize workshops with kids, mixing illustrations and music. My world is colorful, childish, but my naive features often hide political and human subjects. My work is inspired by the stories of others, their daily lives, their memories. Little anecdotes make great stories.


Have you always wanted to be an illustrator ? What studies did you follow ?

No! I have always been interested in art, and I was drawing a lot and reading a lot of comics that’s true, but never I thought I would become an illustrator. I studied music first, then languages… I was not happy in this field so I started to look for some art schools, just by curiosity… I was living in France and wanted to move to another country. I found one school in Brussels, with an interesting course, called “illustration” (I even didn’t know what it meant). I was very curious about it. Applying for that school was also a good opportunity to move to Brussels. When I started, I finally understood it was exactly what I needed and wanted since I was a little girl. My subconscience guided me.



What’s your favorite art supply ?

I love using markers and color pencils, but I love using gouache also, sometimes acrylic, sometimes linocut… It depends the project and my mood. I like the traditional supplies. And I like trying new things all the time, but for today, I draw with markers and pencils (it’s faster). I am planning to try watercolor soon!


What do you prefer to draw ?

I don’t really have a favorite topic. I like drawing stories, I love listening people telling me their stories, their daily life, their childhood, memories, past… That reveal a lot of their present and their personality. Let’s say that the things I prefer drawing are people, their stories, their world, and their daily life. I am very sensitive, and when somebody tells me something strong about his life, I need to draw it, it is my way to share his or her experience.

What was your first job as an illustrator ? and your favorite experience as an illustrator ?

My first job as an illustrator was actually very funny to do, as it was an illustration for a newspaper, a portrait of Donald Trump. I was not used to draw political faces, but I have to say that this one was quite easy and funny to draw. And… I had not being paid for this drawing.
The best experience I had as an illustrator is the children’s book I am working on. I really enjoyed drawing it, going to book fairs, looking for a publisher, dreaming of being published, talking with publishers and wait for an answer… It is very exciting. And stressful also of course, but very exciting. It is by first book, so everything is a new challenge for me, and I love it.


Your style is very beautiful. When did you find it ? Was it easy ?

Not easy at all. I had been totally lost many times in the past. As I said, I knew nothing about illustration before I applied for the illustration school, so I was not confident in my drawings at all. I was always wondering if my “style” was really reflecting me. Actually, I think we all have our own style from the beginning, as we all have our own personality and as we are all inspired by different artists we love. We just need to explore these parts more. So, I would say that I found my style when I started to be confident in my illustrations. Actually, I think it was the day I tried to paint with gouache for the first time. I just truly enjoyed painting with it, I discovered a new “me”, I was proud of the illustrations I made and I started to be confident in me.

Which illustration are you most proud of ?

I like the last drawing I have done. I enjoyed using those colors and I like the characters I created. There are beautiful people, happy people, with beautiful clothes, with flowers, in a swimming pool, in a perfect world, a perfect life… but it is a little bit superficial. Don’t you think so? I like the message behind the details in this illustration.


Do you have a daily routine ? 

I don’t really have a daily routine. My life is really messy. I can stay one week, two weeks, even three weeks without making a single drawing. Then suddenly I will start drawing and painting nights and days during one month, with no break… I don’t recommend this way of life, you might loose a lot of weight ! ;)

What's your favorite illustrators ?

There are too many good illustrators in this world… I cannot choose… I had a big crush on the drawings of Camille Jourdy, she is wonderful (it is more about comics). I like Atak a lot also, he inspired me when I was a student. It is full of colors, of little details... The last book I bought was illustrated by Vincent Pianina, I love his sens of humour. Then, the last amazing young illustrator I discovered on Instagram was Julia Spiers, her illustrations are very beautiful and inspiring! But as I said, there are so much good illustrators. And they are all very young, very talented, very inspiring…


You writing a book about the life of your mother in China ?

Yes, I am writing a book about the life of my mother in China, I am working on it since two years, I didn’t finish it yet. I am very proud of this project, it is the most important work I have done as it’s a lot of illustrations, but also because it is the true story of my mother. It is about her daily life during the cultural revolution in China. It’s a bit political, but also about childhood, love, family… I really hope I will find a publisher for this book. It is the project that represents the best my personality and my work.

Future projects to come ?

A children’s book! It will be published in January. I prefer not telling you too much for now. It will be very colorful, funny, and it will be about a cute little black cat ! :-D


Find Léa in her websiteInstagram.


Next interview on Saturday, September 28th with Ella Lama. Feel free to react in comment and tell me which illustrator do you want to see on my blog. See you every Saturday for a new interview. 


Enregistrer un commentaire

Latest Instagrams

© Lucile Farroni. Design by FCD.