Jo (Montsouris) - Meet the artist

Paris, France

Hey ! I’m a French illustrator and animator better known as Montsouris. I have always liked watch and draw stuff, and being a graphic designer allowed me to venture towards the playful path of illustration. Sometimes, being an illustrator is really cool, sometimes it’s weird. The most important thing for me is to always keep moving forward and to try new things that inspire me.

Salut ! Je fais des illustrations et des animations sous le pseudo de Montsouris. J’ai toujours aimé regarder et faire du dessin alors en tant que graphiste, je me suis aventurée sur les chemins malicieux de l’illustration. Parfois la vie d’illustrateur c’est cool, parfois c’est un peu spécial, le principal pour moi c’est d’avancer avec légèreté en essayant de nouvelles choses qui stimulent mon imagination.


Have you always wanted to be an illustrator ? What studies did you follow ?

Actually, it wasn’t obvious, I have always loved to draw without any precise idea of a job, I let myself going forward without pressure. At the school "illustrator" wasn’t an option, I wasn’t oriented in this direction, instead I completed a master in corporate design. Later, when I was working in agency and everybody was drowning in work to get the project finished on time, we had no time to prepare the briefs so I did the drawings. I took me some time to realize that I was doing illustration missions and then I naturally turned to freelance to follow my newly found passion.

Ce n’était pas une évidence, j’aimais dessiner sans avoir d’idée préconçue de métier, je me laissais le temps d’avancer. A l’école « illustrateur » n’était pas une option à la place j’ai obtenu un master corporate design à l’ecv paris. En agence, sur les projets en charrette où on avait pas le temps de préparer les briefs, je réalisais les dessins. J’ai mis un petit moment à comprendre que je faisais des missions d’illustrations puis naturellement j’ai commencé à faire des piges et à les privilégier sur mes activités de graphiste.


What your favorite thing about digital art ?

I like to model my work process with all the available tools - to develop my own tips to improve efficiency, and be a little more precise in the details.

J’aime bien modeler mon process de travail avec tous les outils mis à dispo - mettre au point mes propres tips pour gagner en efficacité, être un peu plus précise dans les détails.


Team Wacom or team Ipad ?

Wacom :)


What do you prefer to draw ?

Houses ! :) It's familiar and warm, it conveys a lot of feelings to me.

Je dessine une petite maison quand je peux, c’est familier et chaleureux, ça véhicule beaucoup de sentiments chez moi.

What was your first job as an illustrator ? and your favorite experience as an illustrator ?

It was in an agency, I was in charge of the Adventure Time toy campaign sold in Happy Meal boxes - I had set sets of small illustrations inspired by the world of cartoon for their variations. In general, I really enjoy working with The Good Life, awesome team, very curious, and with whom I experiment a lot.

C’était en agence, je m’occupais de la campagne de jouets Adventure Time vendus dans des boîtes Happy Meal - j’avais monté des sets de petites illustrations inspirées de l’univers du dessin animé pour leurs déclinaisons. D’une manière générale, j’adore ma collaboration avec The Good Life, une équipe super sympa, très curieuse, et avec qui j’expérimente beaucoup de choses.



When did you find your style ? Was it easy ?

At first, I did a lot of monitoring and I drawn illustrations without thinking too much and over time, I started to look elsewhere, I immersed myself in my daily life, I developed inventories of words to extend my universe through personal projects, I experimented with new ideas to offer them to customers. I draw with discipline, I get to know myself in time and I know that my style of today will certainly not be the same tomorrow, it’s a matter of choice, of meetings. It’s sure that you need to listen to criticisms / feedbacks, but in the end it is more a relationship with yourself, how far you're ready to concede without betraying your aspirations.

Au début, je faisais beaucoup de veille et je réalisais des illustrations sans trop réfléchir puis, avec le temps, j’ai commencé à regarder ailleurs en m’imprégnant de mon quotidien, sur des projets perso, j’ai expérimenté de nouvelles idées pour les proposer aux clients. Je dessine avec discipline, j’apprends à me connaître avec le temps, le style que j’ai aujourd’hui ne sera pas celui que j’aurais demain, c’est une question de choix, certes d’être à l’écoute des critiques mais avant tout chose de son travail, in fine c’est plus un rapport que tu as avec toi-même, de ce que tu es prêt ou non à concéder sans trahir tes aspirations.

Which illustration are you most proud of ?

I can’t choose, haha, I’m happy when an animation is approved and customers are satisfied, more over for animation projects, it's a small victory because it's a real challenge to move forward with animated orders.

Je suis contente lorsqu’une animation est validée et que les clients sont satisfaits, surtout pour les projets d’animation, c’est une petite victoire car c’est un vrai challenge d’avancer avec des commandes animées.


Do you have a daily routine ?

To be honest, no. I have my working process but at the moment the why, where and what of my projects are not similar enough to be organized as a daily routine.

Je dois avouer que non. J’ai mon process de travail au point, mais pour l’instant la dynamique et les attentes de mes projets ne se ressemblent pas vraiment pour être applicable à une routine journalière.

What's your favorite illustrators ?

I remember a long time ago, I had a crush on the small and playful illustrations of maison Papercut, it was the trigger to get into it. I see terrible and exciting things happening on Adult Swim Small's side, I really like classics such as Satoshi Kon's transitional work or the atmospheres of Adrian Tomine's comics. The universe and the animation of “Don’t Hug Me I’m Scared” is so cool and the existential questions of a guy like Danny Casale, who defines himself as a "bad animator", speak to me.

Je me souviens, il y’a longtemps, avoir eu un coup de coeur sur les petites illustrations ludiques de maison Papercut, ça m’a donné l’impulsion de me lancer. Je vois passer des choses terribles et excitantes du côté d’Adult Swim Small, j’aime les classiques du genre comme les transitions de Satoshi Kon ou les atmosphères des BD d’Adrian Tomine. Le travail d’animation et l’univers de “Don’t Hug Me I’m Scared” est cool et les questionnements existentiels d’un mec comme Danny Casale, qui se définit lui-même comme un « bad animator », me parlent.



What's your advice for a beginner illustrator ?

My first advice would be to find your own place, your « niche », to focus on what's important to you, and most of all, to let yourself grow up. There’s a lot of different pathways : special orders for printed or web magazines, com/ad agencies, museums or institutions, publishers, animation studios, start ups, production companies, exhibitions in fairs and galleries or starting with your own online shop. Each one has its proper codes and necessities. Obviously, today social media has become inevitable so you need to be active and maybe have a coffee with people from the community to get constructing feedback.

Peut-être que ce serait intéressant de trouver une place, une niche dans un premier temps, pour vous canaliser et vous laisser grandir, il y a beaucoup de filières dans l’illustration : la commande en magazine, agence de pub, institutions, maison d’édition, studio d’animation, start-up, boites de prod, l’exposition en festival, en galerie ou l’ouverture de sa propre boutique en ligne (et pleins d’autres pistes). Chaque milieu a ses codes et ses prérequis. Aussi soyez actifs sur les social media et n’hésitez pas à aller prendre un café avec les acteurs du milieu pour avoir des retours constructifs.

Future projects to come? (book, exhibition, new products)

Unfortunately I can’t give you details due to non disclosure agreement, but yeah I am working for various projects : magazine and start-up article illustrations, a small series of animations for a clothing brand and a collaboration with an institution.

Oui, des petits projets de commande mais je peux pas citer les noms à cause des clauses de confidentialités, des illustrations articles magazine et starts-up, une petite série d’animations pour une marque de vêtement et une collab avec une institution.






Find Montsouris in her website, InstagramDribbble.


Montsouris tools :

La Wacom Intuos Pro

Next interview on Saturday, October 19th with Lucille. See you every Saturday for a new interview. 




Lucile Farroni - 2019

Enregistrer un commentaire

Latest Instagrams

© Lucile Farroni. Design by FCD.